Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Getting Started...

In the last month or so, I have known at least 5 people who have started blogging.  Add that to the number of people I knew that ALREADY blogged, and you have a pretty decent number.  This got me thinking, "maybe I should start a blog", but let's face it, I'm not that interesting.  I don't really do anything other than go to work, come home, take care of my "kids" and enjoy time with my fiance.  It's a really simple life, but it's all mine, and I enjoy it thoroughly.  I don't really have any hobbies.  As a matter of fact, my fiance says that my hobby is finding different hobbies. 

There was the time I took up cross-stitching, and then there was knitting, and now there is cake decorating! It's not that I didn't love cross stitching or knitting, I really did enjoy them, I just find myself always getting interested in something else.  As a matter of fact, that's how I found my newest hobby: cake decorating.  I was browsing my instant netflix one day, while I was trying to learn how to complete a 'purl' stitch, and came upon the show, 'Cake Boss'.  Before I knew it--I was hooked (and I still can't purl)! I loved it.  His cakes were beautiful pieces of artwork, and the looks of awe that became the customers was so heart warming.  Not too soon after I fell in love with Cake Boss, I found myself signing up for 'Cake Decorating Basics' at my local Michaels. 

At first, I was a bit skeptical.  I truly am the definition of an Undomesticated Goddess.  I have burned everything from chicken to cookies to water (trust me, it's not that difficult-the water evaporates, there's a lot of steam and the fire alarms start to blare!).  As a matter of fact, my dogs no longer jump when the fire alarms go off--they've become THAT accustomed to it.  The only cakes I have ever baked were with the help of Betty Crocker and forget about decorating a cake! I could never even ice it without accidentally cutting a huge chunk of cake out of the top.

Anyhow, to cut this story short: I indirectly found the subject of my blog.  Sort of like a 'Julie and Julia'-esq piece.  I am opening up my kitchen, and inviting you along on my cake decorating journey*.  Let's see if this Undomesticated Goddess can, in fact, find her inner Cake Boss. 





*This blog was started after my completion of Cake Decorating Basics.  I will be uploading pictures with short blurbs regarding my experience as I prepare for Course 2: Flowers and Cake Design!

No comments:

Post a Comment